Sunday, May 22, 2011

Vintage Circus

In the past few years I have become fascinated with vintage circuses, especially those of which came from the dust bowl and Great Depression era.  I don't support the mistreatment of animals, nonetheless I am attracted to the images and stories.  Today I thought I would do something different and share with you an interest of mine. 

Carnivàle
(HBO series 2003-2005)
image source: looklet.com

Freaks
1932 Horror Film



Santa Sangre
1989 Mexican-Italian surrealist horror film




















Water for Elephants
A novel by Sara Gruen, 2006


Vintage Circus Photographs
Most of these photos are circa 1920's-1930's


 The Hoochie Coochie
A sexually provocative burlesque dance
 

 Side Show/Freak Show







6 comments:

Brittany said...

http://thebutterflycircus.com/short-film/

You will probably like that. I found it on Stumbleupon a week or so ago and your post reminded me of it. It's a half-hour movie about an old circus.

Courtney Erin said...

I'm obsessed with Carnivale. Obsessed.

xoxo ~ Courtney
http://sartorialsidelines.blogspot.com

Victoria / Justice Pirate said...

I've seen Freaks. Some of the people who were in the movie were really famous here in NJ in their time and even still! The one guy who had no arms or legs actually had a LARGE family!!!! Really interesting. I have a couple photos of him and his family in a NJ book and magazine that's been running here for over a decade.

I haven't seen any of the others at all that you have listed here. I feel REALLY REALLY bad for those peep show girls since many of them were forced to do things against their will. I feel badly for a lot of the people who are "carnies" because of missing limbs and such though too. They were treated and looked down on by too many people. It's just so sad!!!

M said...

i just went to coney island recently! and i LOVE water for elephants!

come by my GIVEAWAY!!!

xx.M

www.bellesandrebelles.blogspot.com

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

Ha, interesting. I've been meaning to watch Carnivale for over a year. I like circuses myself, or at least the idea. But the reality is so often so horrible, at least in countries without proper regulations...

Lady Moriarty said...

Santa Sangre is a masterpiece, I've seen it like a dozen times, and I could see it another dozen times

See U !