Monday, February 7, 2011

artist feature: Joan Miró

Joan Miró
April 20, 1893 – December 25, 1983

André Breton (poet, founder of the Surrealist movement) described Joan Miró as “the most Surrealist of us all.” And although Joan Miró refused to be categorized into any artistic movement, the free, almost moving forms and child-like wonderment in his work have been interpreted as falling into both the Surrealism and Dada movements. Like many artists and poets of the time Miró, originally from Barcelona, left Spain in 1920 to escape Franco’s fascist reign. While living in Paris, Miró was among the first artists to develop automatism (automatic or free form drawing). 

“Form for me is never something abstract. It is always a token of something. . . . For me, form is never an end in itself.” -Miró


Birth of the World 1925

The Trap 1924

Another technique used by Miró to create the strange images in his paintings was starvation.  He would lay in bed having eaten nothing all day and draw the shapes he saw forming on his ceiling. 
Tilled Field 1923-24

His style is extremely whimsical, made unique through the use of biomorphism/organic forms, sharp lines, vivid use of color and sexual symbols. Miró’s independent attitude towards the art community allowed for freedom of expression without the confinements of a genre. I first became interested in Miró's work in 2007 and was immediately infatuated with his style.  Soon after, Evan and I ordered an over sized print of Blue II (pictured below).  This simple painting arouses complex emotions and offers a calming sense.  I thought it to be a perfect piece for our living space. 

Blue II 1961

One of the biggest highlights of 2010 was visiting the Museum of Modern Art and having the privilege to view close to fifty of Miró's original pieces.  Although much of his work involves a copious amount of subjects to interpret, I believe Miró's strong point lies in his ability to convey a strong message through simplicity. 

Photo (This is the Color of my Dreams) 1925

“I try to apply colors like words that shape poems, like notes that shape music.” -Miró


Carnival of Harlequin 1924

I'm not going to tell you how to interpret these pieces.  Art, especially that which is closely related to Dada, rejects the traditional idea of art and can only be construed by the individual.  Personally, I don't view Miró's work and try to figure out the meaning; I focus on how it makes me feel.


Ciphers and Constellations In Love With a Woman 1941


9 comments:

Courtney Erin said...

I've always been really drawn to his Carnival of Harlequin - and I'm generally not a big fan of surrealism or abstractionism but that painting just conjures something in me.

xoxo ~ Courtney
http://sartorialsidelines.blogspot.com

M said...

as an art history major, i am in LOVE with this post!! xo

come by my new giveaway!!!

xx.M

www.bellesandrebelles.blogspot.com

Trendsetters said...

I love your blog, as well as I love Mirò..
Well done!

We're following now, follow us back if you want!

http://theothersideoftrendsetters.blogspot.com/

Twenty.Something said...

Awesome post! This is right up my alley :)

I'm such a fan, especially of the Carnival of Harlequin 1924.

BenchesandChandeliers said...

love! his work looks like a fresh combo of some of my favorite artists.

www.benchesandchandeliers.com

Shoe said...

I really love the colours in his work, but I don't think I could bring myself to starve for my art! Haha... great post!

jamie-lee said...

I think you chose the perfect piece - definitely calming! x

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

I like Miró's work, though I'm terrible and have never been to the Fundació Joan Miró in Barcelona. Still, I did once do an outfit shoot with one of his statues! Great retrospective!

Lynn {hearted girl} said...

jenni, what a lovely blog you have. i've enjoyed my read today; you, evan and all your animal menagerie sounds like a mighty fine family.

beautiful portraits and outfit posts but i chose here to comment b/c of the miró artwork. i first saw his work about a year ago in school when a student showed a variety of images in our illustrator/design class.

everyone in the room became so quiet while studying the many parts of "carnival", so when i saw it here i had to stop off. they do have a seemingly frantic rhythm that seems to be lulled by a rather subtle organization.

love it and your insights as well. so lucky to have seen it in the real. ♥

pea ess: thanks for visiting me, it's happiness to find you.